Limenaria History

History

Limenaria is the most recently built village of Thassos due to the gradual abandonment of the mountainous settlement Kastro (Castle) by its residents.
The abandonment of Kastro and the settlement of the residents in the location of Limenaria began in 1905, when the ingenious German businessman Fr.Speidel, founder of the homonymous mining company, arrived at the unimportant at that time, “Skala”.  Only a few hundred meters northeast of Limenaria at the site of “Vouves” he detected significant deposits of silver lead and calamine and immediately began mining.  Mines absorbed all the available workforce, initially that of Kastro and later of Theologos and nearby villages.
The “Palataki” (small palace) that stands imposingly as a landmark in Limenaria, was the residence of the German genius.  Along the beach he built a series  of identical houses for the settlement of the first few workers, some of which still survive to this day, while maintaining the architectural style of the Speidel period (1905-1914).
The mines operated at extremely fast pace until 1914, when the First World War interrupted their operation.  A brief glimpse of their operation was the period 1925-1930, but the global economic “crash” of 1930 definitely ceased their operation.  In 1957 another German company uses Limenaria as its headquarters and uses the facilities of “Palataki”.  This company exploits at other sites large quantities of iron necessary for the reconstruction of war-torn Germany.  Concurrently with this German company, a Greek one operates from its headquarters based in Limenaria too.  The operation of both ceased in 1963 for different reasons each.
During these years Limenaria experienced unprecedented growth and became the most populous city of Thassos, since the census of 1960 counted more than 3500 residents.
Preceded the 1922 a wave of refugees from Haraki of Asia Minor that gave new life to the village.  The residents of Kastro will mix with the people from Asia Minor who will force the residents of Limenaria to the sea. This shift has opened up new economical horizons for the residents.

 
George Avgoustidis